I Never Win Anything! Make Sure You Enter Then!

Posted on: November 4th, 2008 by Jason 12 Comments

I never win anything is many a comper’s lament, and quite often that’s simply because luck isn’t with them that day/week/month/year/ever (delete as applicable to you). There’s not much you can do to change luck if you’re comping in the right way, but blimey guv’nor there are so many of you who make schoolboy and schoolgirl errors that’s it’s no wonder you never win a competition!

If you’re going to give yourself half a chance of winning something then make sure that you’re not screwing up your chances before the winners are being pulled from the hat!

1. Enter Competitions!

Ok this is like teaching Granny to suck eggs, but there are so many competitions that don’t get many entries. We’ve been promoting our own competition on the blog, but whilst doing research we found this competition for £200 of Star Wars toys with less than 50 entries and this one for a High School Musical mobile phone with just 35 entries. They’re both on Loquax, so either you’re not interested in the prizes or are being lazy with your entries. There are good chances to win decent prizes and you’re missing out!

2. Answer The Question Correctly

Another basic competition rule, but yes some of you still don’t read the question! If we ask you for a “spoof newspaper title” that means the answer doesn’t come from the “calendar” section. Don’t always rely on answers given by others either, a lot of sites are rotating questions as they become aware of answers being shared. So check the question and double check your answer before hitting “enter”!

3. Use A Valid Email Address AND Check It

We know many compers have a special comping email account to accommodate marketing messages, but make sure you check it – you might have winning emails in their too! Check your junk filters too – you never know where Hotmail and Gmail send things. At the moment 30% of the prizes we’ve given away over the last year or so have to be redrawn because people do not respond to their emails!

Watching people win prizes when you’re not having much luck can be frustrating, but make sure you’re doing the above properly. Do them and with a bit of Lady Luck you could be telling us all about your latest win!

Related Posts

• No related posts

12 Comments! Join The Conversation!

1. SBrunette says:

Oh no, now you have highlighted the star wars competition and my son was so hoping he had a chance with this! :(

2. jason says:

The comp closed on the 4th with just 57 entries!

3. SBrunette says:

oh, didn’t realise it had closed already. I knew i had entered that one though :) It does seem strange that it was such a low entry seeing as it was a good prize. I would of expected to have seen at least 300 entries for that one.

4. cpjw says:

3 sets of prizes, 57 entries, and I still didn’t win… :(

5. jason says:

Have they announced the winners then?

6. Bev71 says:

Just had a WEM for the Falcon! Huge thanks Jason!

7. Consultantwan says:

I have won so many stuff over the years and I stick by my Fathers saying.. you gotta be in it to win it!!

8. madmonster says:

Thanks for the advice. I hate leaving entries that are comments to websites. Don’t know why, it’s just one of my pet hates. But following on from reading this blog, saw a competition on the main pages for a DS game that had only 78 entries before me, so I thought, “gotta be in to win it” … just got the wem.

So thank you very much.

9. debslot says:

I used to think I’d never win anything but since starting comping more seriously, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with a steady stream of wins. As you say, there are pitfalls to watch out for but I enter competitions every day and really enjoy it and of course, there’s nothing quite like winning something! In fact, I enjoy comping so much, my husband suggested I write a book about entering competitions online – so I did (“Win Your Way to Wealth”)!

I enjoyed a great night out with my daughter at the theatre last night, thanks to comping and have just found out I’ve won some cookbooks and chocolate. I’m definitely going to carry on comping!

10. WINNINGAWAY says:

I’m not sure I would call comping ‘Winning my way to wealth’. I would never describe comping as that. Comping is the little surprize turning up on your doorstep on a tuesday morning or maybe the massive surprize of someone calling you up saying you are going to meet David Beckham….I’m not wealthy, but the money can’t buy prizes have made big milestones in my life…even such that I can take 6 months away from comping and not feel sad that I haven’t won anything in the last 6 mths, the memories are enough.

11. debslot says:

I know what you’re saying but “wealth” is a subjective thing – it’s not necessarily just about money. It’s also a case of considering yourself “rich” because of the experiences and opportunities comping can offer you. My family have benefitted from my comping in numerous ways and it sounds as if you’ve had some good times too as a result of winning

12. Bev71 says:

Personally I don’t think you can be “taught” how to win or need a guide – at the end of the day, 90% of competitions are down to luck and the 10% that require creativity – either you have the knack to write a winning tiebreaker or ditty or you don’t! It’s not a skill that can be taught.

Leave a Reply - We'd Love To Hear From You!

You must be logged in to post a comment.